Japan really doesn't seem as hot on Final Fantasy titles anymore, as after the 16th mainline entry failed to hand the PS5 a chart-topping position, sales of the game have dropped considerably by 90 per cent. In its first week on the market, Final Fantasy XVI sold just over 336,000 physical copies. However, in its second week of availability, just 37,763 units were shifted. It's generally expected for games to sell worse during the second seven-day span, but not by such a big margin as this one.
In fact, Final Fantasy XVI wasn't even Japan's best-selling game last week. Nintendo Switch exclusive Master Detective Archives: Rain Code was, beating the Square Enix title by nearly 20,000 units. As documented by Famitsu, PS5 hardware sales were also considerably down last week. Compared to Final Fantasy XVI's launch week, roughly 50 per cent less PS5 systems were sold to consumers.
In a separate Bloomberg article, Toyo Securities analyst Hideki Yasuda said: "This is a very poor result, and it will be impossible to increase sales further unless the price is significantly lowered. Most of the failure is a result of the pre-publicity and the actual game itself being too far removed from the Final Fantasy of the past, leaving consumers behind."
- [NSW] Master Detective Archives: Rain Code (Spike Chunsoft, 06/30/23) – 55,339
- [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix, 06/22/23) – 37,763
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 26,089
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 10,244
- [NSW] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Capcom, 06/30/23) – 8,373
- [NSW] 9 R.I.P. (Idea Factory, 06/29/23) – 8,080
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 7,241
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 6,925
- [NSW] Tokyo Xanadu eX+ for Nintendo Switch (Falcom, 06/29/23) – 5,845
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 5,341
- Switch OLED Model – 60,045 (4,961,211)
- PlayStation 5 – 44,967 (3,318,567)
- Switch – 24,118 (19,421,983)
- Switch Lite – 22,051 (5,389,433)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 4,327 (533,910)
- PlayStation 4 – 2,093 (7,881,468)
- Xbox Series S – 505 (268,464)
- Xbox Series X – 466 (202,255)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 40 (1,191,854)